Why are “a” and “the” like a stock market dance?
What are “the cat rules”?
Join me on my “hot take” on English articles and how we use them to invite people into our world and build relationships.
In this episode I talk about:
- how the grammar we use depends on what the other person knows, and why this is like a “stock market dance”;
- what “the cat rules” are, and why they show us more than just some grammar rules;
- how to use “the” to make a stronger bond between you and the person you’re talking to;
- why we don’t use articles to talk about some places;
- why Abra is one of the best R&B singers out there.
I hope this podcast makes you think more deeply about how language (and articles) really work.
- Podcast Episode 8 – Grice’s Maxims: An interview with Ali Uygur Erol
- Podcast Episode 1 – Say vs Tell … What’s the difference?
- Podcast Episode 2 – Buffalo buffalo
- Podcast Episode 3 – What on Earth is an ergative verb?
- Podcast Episode 4 – Interview with Hugh Dellar – “One phrase at a time”
- Podcast Episode 5 – Cambridge Cambridge Cambridge
- Podcast Episode 6 – The English Verb
- Podcast Episode 9 – Enjoy studying again with the Self-Study Menu
- Podcast Episode 13 – Tips From A Polyglot – Interview With Lindsay From Lindsay Does Languages
- Podcast Episode 15 – English Articles and the Stock Market Dance
- Podcast Episode 10 – Interview with Christian from Canguro English – The paint is still wet
- Podcast Episode 7 – How to Sound Smart (and Witty) in English
- Podcast Episode 11 – Three Things That Surprised Me About the UK
- Podcast Episode 12 – How Not to Die in an English Conversation
- Podcast Episode 14 – Teaching English Through Storytelling – An Interview With Ariel Goodbody
- Podcast Episode 16 – Does Business English really exist? – An interview with Shanthi Cumaraswamy Streat