A conversation with former Harvard professor Lawrence Weinstein about how the future can limit our power, how using the active can empower us, how the past tense can make us stronger, a man being strangled by a giant paragraph and much, much more.
About a month ago, I was lucky enough to receive a forward copy of Lawrence’s book, Grammar for a Full Life: How the Way We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us.
Interesting title, right?
I had a look at it, and it was full of enticing chapters such as:
“Tapping Inborn Energy: Transitive Verbs in the Active Voice”
“Generosity: Semicolons, Cumulative Sentences”
“Friends in the Graveyard: A Special Use of Present Tense.”
In his book, Lawrence shows us the power of grammar and how it can make us better and happier people (and how it can make us worse and unhappier people, too).
I couldn’t resist asking him onto the podcast to talk about these ideas.
So I did.
And, very happily, he said, “Yes!”
And we had a truly wonderful conversation full of insights and new ideas.
I hope you enjoy it!
- Podcast Episode 8 – Grice’s Maxims: An Interview with Ali Uygur Erol
- Podcast Episode 1 – Say vs Tell … What’s the difference?
- Podcast Episode 2 – Buffalo Buffalo
- Podcast Episode 3 – What on Earth is an Ergative Verb?
- Podcast Episode 4 – Interview with Hugh Dellar – “One phrase at a time”
- Podcast Episode 5 – Cambridge Cambridge Cambridge
- Podcast Episode 6 – The English Verb
- Podcast Episode 9 – Enjoy Studying Again with the Self-Study Menu
- Podcast Episode 13 – Tips From A Polyglot – Interview With Lindsay From Lindsay Does Languages
- Podcast Episode 15 – English Articles and the Stock Market Dance
- Podcast Episode 10 – Interview with Christian from Canguro English – The paint is still wet
- Podcast Episode 7 – How to Sound Smart (and Witty) in English
- Podcast Episode 11 – Three Things That Surprised Me About the UK
- Podcast Episode 12 – How Not to Die in an English Conversation
- Podcast Episode 14 – Teaching English Through Storytelling – An Interview With Ariel Goodbody
- Podcast Episode 17 – Don’t Destroy the Universe! Word Order in English
- Podcast Episode 16 – Does Business English Really Exist? An Interview with Shanthi Cumaraswamy Streat
- Podcast Episode 18 – Grammar for a Full Life – A Weird and Wonderful Interview with Professor Lawrence Weinstein
- Podcast Episode 19 – The Back of 2020: A New Year’s Ramble
- Podcast Episode 20 – What Should I Read in English?
- Podcast Episode 21 – Watch Movies and Improve Your Listening in English – An Interview with Cara Leopold
- Podcast Episode 22 – Grammar, Perception and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Podcast Episode 23 – Why You’re Not Free in English (and How This Can Help You)
- Podcast Episode 24 – International Communication in English with Chia Suan Chong
- Podcast Episode 25 – Actionable English Mindset Advice with Krisia Justesen
- Podcast Episode 26 – The Beatles and Your English Learning Journey
- Podcast Episode 27 – Why Pragmatics Gives You Superpowers – An Interview with Andreas Grundtvig
- Podcast Episode 28 – Talking about Comedy with Luke from Luke’s English Podcast
- Podcast Episode 29 – I’ll have a beer and a wife, please.
- Podcast Episode 31 – Cooking Verbs in English
- Podcast Episode 30 – Do You Need Grammar to Understand What People Are Saying?