I talk to Luke from Luke’s English Podcast – one of the longest-running ESL podcasts – about one of our favourite topics: comedy.
We discuss our favourite British sitcoms and comedians.
We also look at how you can improve your communication skills by “keeping things light” and even being weird and surreal.
And you also get to hear at least three pirate jokes (and two cheese jokes, too).
List of shows and comedians mentioned in this episode:
Alan Partridge (also referred to as simply “Partridge”)
Monty Python (also referred to as “The Pythons”)
The Mighty Boosh
The Young Ones
The Goon Show
The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band
Hancock’s Half Hour
Gimme Gimme Gimme
Keeping Up Appearances
Only Fools and Horses
One Foot in the Grave
The Thick of It
The Day Today
Peter Cook and Dudley Moore
Have I Got News for You
Book: The Naked Jape by Jimmy Carr and Lucy Greeves
- Podcast Episode 8 – Grice’s Maxims: An Interview with Ali Uygur Erol
- Podcast Episode 1 – Say vs Tell … What’s the difference?
- Podcast Episode 2 – Buffalo Buffalo
- Podcast Episode 3 – What on Earth is an Ergative Verb?
- Podcast Episode 4 – Interview with Hugh Dellar – “One phrase at a time”
- Podcast Episode 5 – Cambridge Cambridge Cambridge
- Podcast Episode 6 – The English Verb
- Podcast Episode 9 – Enjoy Studying Again with the Self-Study Menu
- Podcast Episode 13 – Tips From A Polyglot – Interview With Lindsay From Lindsay Does Languages
- Podcast Episode 15 – English Articles and the Stock Market Dance
- Podcast Episode 10 – Interview with Christian from Canguro English – The paint is still wet
- Podcast Episode 7 – How to Sound Smart (and Witty) in English
- Podcast Episode 11 – Three Things That Surprised Me About the UK
- Podcast Episode 12 – How Not to Die in an English Conversation
- Podcast Episode 14 – Teaching English Through Storytelling – An Interview With Ariel Goodbody
- Podcast Episode 17 – Don’t Destroy the Universe! Word Order in English
- Podcast Episode 16 – Does Business English Really Exist? An Interview with Shanthi Cumaraswamy Streat
- Podcast Episode 18 – Grammar for a Full Life – A Weird and Wonderful Interview with Professor Lawrence Weinstein
- Podcast Episode 19 – The Back of 2020: A New Year’s Ramble
- Podcast Episode 20 – What Should I Read in English?
- Podcast Episode 21 – Watch Movies and Improve Your Listening in English – An Interview with Cara Leopold
- Podcast Episode 22 – Grammar, Perception and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Podcast Episode 23 – Why You’re Not Free in English (and How This Can Help You)
- Podcast Episode 24 – International Communication in English with Chia Suan Chong
- Podcast Episode 25 – Actionable English Mindset Advice with Krisia Justesen
- Podcast Episode 26 – The Beatles and Your English Learning Journey
- Podcast Episode 27 – Why Pragmatics Gives You Superpowers – An Interview with Andreas Grundtvig
- Podcast Episode 28 – Talking about Comedy with Luke from Luke’s English Podcast
- Podcast Episode 29 – I’ll have a beer and a wife, please.
- Podcast Episode 31 – Cooking Verbs in English
- Podcast Episode 30 – Do You Need Grammar to Understand What People Are Saying?
- Podcast Episode 33 – Reported Speech, True Love and Why Lawyers Speak Trashy English
- Podcast Episode 32 – Schrödinger’s Adjective and Three Other Pieces of Grammar Philosophy