Want to improve your listening skills AND enjoy movies?
Want to join a community of other English learners who love films and TV series?
Then Cara’s your go-to!
In this episode, I talk to Cara Leopold, an expert on listening skills and using movies and TV series to improve listening skills, share ideas in English and make sense of the world.
We talk about:
- how to improve your listening skills and enjoy movies in English;
- the differences between film English and real-world English;
- how you can improve your English by talking about movies;
- what to do before watching a movie to get yourself ready for it;
- why listening is such a nightmare;
- why it can be a good idea to start a new language with listening and pronunciation;
- how to make sense of the crazy world we live in through “watch parties” and movie clubs;
- how to join Cara’s watch parties;
- why you should watch Fargo.
Cara is an English listening skills coach who helps adventurous expats and intrepid travellers improve their English listening skills through movies so they can better understand and connect with fast-talking native speakers.
To receive her bi-monthly “Chai Latte Letters” in your inbox and get announcements about events like watch parties, download your Mini Movie Guide, which will teach you how to understand fast-talking native speakers using your favourite movie. Click here to get it.
Subscribe to her YouTube channel, Leo Listening.
- Podcast Episode 8 – Grice’s Maxims: An Interview with Ali Uygur Erol
- Podcast Episode 1 – Say vs Tell … What’s the difference?
- Podcast Episode 2 – Buffalo Buffalo
- Podcast Episode 3 – What on Earth is an Ergative Verb?
- Podcast Episode 4 – Interview with Hugh Dellar – “One phrase at a time”
- Podcast Episode 5 – Cambridge Cambridge Cambridge
- Podcast Episode 6 – The English Verb
- Podcast Episode 9 – Enjoy Studying Again with the Self-Study Menu
- Podcast Episode 13 – Tips From A Polyglot – Interview With Lindsay From Lindsay Does Languages
- Podcast Episode 15 – English Articles and the Stock Market Dance
- Podcast Episode 10 – Interview with Christian from Canguro English – The paint is still wet
- Podcast Episode 7 – How to Sound Smart (and Witty) in English
- Podcast Episode 11 – Three Things That Surprised Me About the UK
- Podcast Episode 12 – How Not to Die in an English Conversation
- Podcast Episode 14 – Teaching English Through Storytelling – An Interview With Ariel Goodbody
- Podcast Episode 17 – Don’t Destroy the Universe! Word Order in English
- Podcast Episode 16 – Does Business English Really Exist? An Interview with Shanthi Cumaraswamy Streat
- Podcast Episode 18 – Grammar for a Full Life – A Weird and Wonderful Interview with Professor Lawrence Weinstein
- Podcast Episode 19 – The Back of 2020: A New Year’s Ramble
- Podcast Episode 20 – What Should I Read in English?
- Podcast Episode 21 – Watch Movies and Improve Your Listening in English – An Interview with Cara Leopold
- Podcast Episode 22 – Grammar, Perception and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Podcast Episode 23 – Why You’re Not Free in English (and How This Can Help You)
- Podcast Episode 24 – International Communication in English with Chia Suan Chong
- Podcast Episode 25 – Actionable English Mindset Advice with Krisia Justesen
- Podcast Episode 26 – The Beatles and Your English Learning Journey
- Podcast Episode 27 – Why Pragmatics Gives You Superpowers – An Interview with Andreas Grundtvig