What on Earth is an ergative verb?
How can I recognize one?
Do I need them?
There are some verbs in English that don’t work in way you might think.
In this podcast, we’ll take a dive into the weird, but useful, world of ergative verbs in English.
These verbs are very handy if in these situations:
- When the subject isn’t important (but the passive sounds wrong)
- When things do things to themselves (like technology)
- When we want to avoid responsibility
Use them well and you will sound more natural in English.
And who doesn’t like avoiding responsibility! 🙂
Download the show notes (PDF).
- Podcast Episode 8 – Grice’s Maxims: An interview with Ali Uygur Erol
- Podcast Episode 1 – Say vs Tell … What’s the difference?
- Podcast Episode 2 – Buffalo buffalo
- Podcast Episode 3 – What on Earth is an ergative verb?
- Podcast Episode 4 – Interview with Hugh Dellar – “One phrase at a time”
- Podcast Episode 5 – Cambridge Cambridge Cambridge
- Podcast Episode 6 – The English Verb
- Podcast Episode 7 – How to Sound Smart (and Witty) in English