Here’s something you might be doing without realising it:
You might be putting too many flashing lights and flags in your English sentences.
With word order!
The order that we choose to put words in a sentence in English can subtly (and not so subtly) change the meaning by emphasising certain words.
Check out this Clark and Miller English podcast episode to find out how you might be emphasising words that you don’t want to emphasise (and destroying the universe in the process).
Seriously — don’t destroy the universe!
Just Ipswich. 🙂
- Podcast Episode 8 – Grice’s Maxims: An interview with Ali Uygur Erol
- Podcast Episode 1 – Say vs Tell … What’s the difference?
- Podcast Episode 2 – Buffalo buffalo
- Podcast Episode 3 – What on Earth is an ergative verb?
- Podcast Episode 4 – Interview with Hugh Dellar – “One phrase at a time”
- Podcast Episode 5 – Cambridge Cambridge Cambridge
- Podcast Episode 6 – The English Verb
- Podcast Episode 9 – Enjoy studying again with the Self-Study Menu
- Podcast Episode 13 – Tips From A Polyglot – Interview With Lindsay From Lindsay Does Languages
- Podcast Episode 15 – English Articles and the Stock Market Dance
- Podcast Episode 10 – Interview with Christian from Canguro English – The paint is still wet
- Podcast Episode 7 – How to Sound Smart (and Witty) in English
- Podcast Episode 11 – Three Things That Surprised Me About the UK
- Podcast Episode 12 – How Not to Die in an English Conversation
- Podcast Episode 14 – Teaching English Through Storytelling – An Interview With Ariel Goodbody
- Podcast Episode 17 – Don’t destroy the universe! Word order in English
- Podcast Episode 16 – Does Business English really exist? – An interview with Shanthi Cumaraswamy Streat